Thursday, July 30, 2015

Welcome Wyatt Alan Price

I was prepared to be one of those women who was pregnant for 41 or 42 weeks, begging my baby boy to come out. I was surprised, instead, with becoming a family of 3 a little bit early.

On Tuesday, July 7, I woke up feeling consistent contractions, but nowhere near 5 minutes apart. I had been taking work home with me for the past couple of days, just in case I needed to do work from home. I decided today may be the day, so I let my team at work know I was starting to have contractions and would be staying at home to see what came of it.

I worked in bed all day, timing contractions as they came. They were NOT consistent at all, but they were super uncomfortable. Mark came home at lunchtime to check on me, and they hadn’t really progressed much. He went back to work, and I continued my workday from bed. Around 3:00pm, I noticed them getting closer together. That afternoon, I had been texting with my prenatal fitness coach and a very close nurse friend of mine, and by 4:00 that afternoon, I felt like I really needed to go to the hospital. They were 5 minutes apart at this point, lasting a minute or more, but not so intense that I couldn’t function.

I called Mark, and we decided to go to the hospital. I also called my parents in Waco and Mark’s parents in Amarillo to let them know they needed to head this way. I feared that this wasn’t the real deal, and I didn’t want everyone to come all the way here for a false-alarm. Mark’s parents, being much further away than my parents, decided they needed to come then just so they didn’t miss anything.

We arrived at the hospital and checked in. We were taken to the triage room to check the dilation and effacement. The nurse checked me, and I was only dilated to a 3, the same I had been the previous week at the doctor’s office. She let us know that she could tell I was having contractions, but she needed us to stay to be monitored for 2 hours to see if anything progressed. My parents arrived in the time we were there waiting. Finally, at the 2 hour mark, the nurse came back to check again. No progression, unfortunately, and they sent me home to labor there.

I was disappointed, but mostly upset that we had told everyone to come to town for a false alarm. Mark, my parents, and I came home and decided to walk to dinner and the grocery store to see if we could get things going. Mark’s parents got in around 11pm, and shortly after I decided to go to bed.

As soon as I hit the bed, my REAL contractions started. I was in very intense pain and could definitely tell a difference between the contractions I had been feeling all day and these new more painful ones. I was having them every 5-10 minutes, and I couldn’t sleep through them. I labored all night, getting up each time I had a contraction. It was the longest night of my life, but I was afraid to go back to the hospital and get sent home again.

I took a warm shower at 5 or 6am, then work Mark up to let him know I thought I needed to go back to the hospital. He was hesitant and started monitoring the contraction with me. Around 7:00am, I was having them every 2-3 minutes, and I went in to let my mom know. We all decided we should go back to the hospital.

We arrived at 8:30am to the hospital, got checked back in, and went to triage. I was near tears, not sure if it was the pain or the extreme desire for the nurse to tell me I was dilated past a 3. She came in to check me, looked shocked, and said, “You’re about to have a baby, you are dilated to an 8.” She had another nurse come in to verify, and it was confirmed that I was an 8, only a little more to go for baby time!

I was moved to the labor & delivery room, and met our L&D nurse, Lydia. Lydia was the best nurse I could have ever imagined, and she was all ours through the entire process. After a bit of a delay due to an Operating Room emergency, we finally met the Anesthesiologist who gave me the epidural. My contractions, at this point, were incredibly unbearable as I was dilated to a 9, and I could not imagine going any longer in this much pain but also pushing the baby out!? NO WAY!

The difference between natural labor and the feeling post-epidural is night and day, the difference between the most horrific pain and the most delightful experience in the world. I was able to take a short nap even.

It wasn’t too long before the doctor came in to check me again, I was dilated to a +3 – which I assume means 3 more than I needed to be to actually start pushing. It was go time! I had told Lydia that I did not want a mirror to see the baby born before we had started. I didn’t want Mark to see anything since he will pass out at a paper cut, much less child birth! After one round of pushing, I changed my mind.

I am so glad I did! I couldn’t feel the contractions, so I wasn’t sure during my pushing if I was making progress. Once I saw it in the mirror, it was easier for me to concentrate my pushing. I saw him crowning during my 2nd push, then the doctor came in to finish the delivery. I pushed a couple more and he was here!
I have prayed for this baby for many years. I wanted to be a mom long ago, and we struggled with conceiving for a while. All of that struggle and pain, all of the tears, were made worth it the minute that squealing baby was placed on my chest. I cried, Mom cried… I think Mark even cried. We were instantly in love with this little baby boy.

Wyatt Alan Price was born on Wednesday, July 8th at 1:50pm. He weighed 8 lbs even and measured 20.5 inches long. He shares a middle name with his dad and his Papaw Keith Mills. He is perfect, and he is loved.

Welcome to the world Wyatt

Nurse Lydia, Wyatt, Mark & Papaw Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment